Unlock Tax Savings: Expert Guidance for Non-Residents Owning Investment in Canada

Cross-Border Tax Solutions Simplified: Expert Non-Resident Tax Return Services!

Non-Resident Tax Return Filing Services in Canada

Non-Resident Tax Return Filing Services are essential for individuals and businesses with financial interests in Canada but residing outside its borders. Navigating the complexities of Canadian tax law as a non-resident can be challenging, involving intricate rules and regulations. Our services at CNC, located in Coquitlam, are specifically designed to address these challenges, ensuring compliance and optimizing tax situations for our clients.

Our team of skilled tax professionals understands the unique nuances non-residents face when dealing with Canadian tax obligations. Whether it involves earning rental income, receiving dividends, or engaging in property transactions, our Non-Resident Tax Return Filing Services provide comprehensive solutions tailored to individual circumstances. We stay abreast of the latest developments in tax laws, ensuring that our clients benefit from the most current and effective strategies.

Dealing with tax requirements in a country where one does not reside requires a specialized approach. Our Non-Resident Tax Return Filing Services are structured to navigate these complexities seamlessly. We offer guidance on everything from understanding double taxation agreements to managing withholding tax requirements, ensuring that all Canadian tax obligations are covered meticulously.

Our commitment at CNC is to remove the complexities associated with non-resident tax filing, allowing our clients to make informed financial decisions quickly. We aim to minimize tax liabilities while ensuring full compliance with all Canadian tax laws.

To learn more about how our Non-Resident Tax Return Filing Services can assist you in efficiently and effectively meeting your tax obligations in Canada, please get in touch with our Coquitlam office. We are dedicated to providing the support and expertise necessary for non-residents to navigate the Canadian tax system confidently.

You are a non-resident for tax purposes if you:

– normally, customarily, or routinely live in another country and are not considered a resident of Canada 
– do not have significant residential ties in Canada
you live outside Canada throughout the tax year
you stay in Canada for less than 183 days in the tax year

Leaving Canada and Becoming a Non-Resident

If you plan to leave Canada and become a non-resident, our team can assist you with your final Canadian tax filings. Transitioning to non-residency involves several critical steps, including filing specific forms and declarations. We specialize in helping individuals navigate this process smoothly. Our services include assistance with Form NR5, which is essential for non-residents to apply for reduced withholding tax on Canadian-source income, and Form T1161, a requirement for reporting the disposition of taxable Canadian property. Let us guide you through these requirements to ensure you remain compliant with Canadian tax laws while transitioning to your new status as a non-resident.

Services for Non-Resident Tax Return

Special Non-Resident Tax Return?

At CNC, we specialize in providing top-tier non-resident tax return filing services tailored to your unique needs. Our expertise is particularly focused on assisting individuals who:


If you’re a non-resident with Canadian rental properties, we have a proven track record of ensuring accurate and efficient tax filings. We help you navigate rental income, deductions, and withholding tax to optimize your financial position.


Our experienced team understands the intricate rules surrounding principal residences. We’ll guide you through the factors that determine whether you can continue to designate your property as your principal residence for tax purposes.

Sold Property in Canada

Our experienced team understands the intricacies of capital gains tax for non-residents who have sold property in Canada. 

We’ll help you explore strategies to minimize your capital gains tax liability, ensuring you retain more of your property’s value.

Work in Canada on a Visa

Non-residents working in Canada under a work visa face specific tax considerations. We’re well-versed in these complexities, helping you manage your tax obligations effectively while you focus on your professional journey.

US Citizens Working in Canada

As a US citizen working in Canada, your tax situation involves both Canadian and US tax laws. Our comprehensive approach ensures that you meet your obligations in both countries, optimizing your tax outcomes.

What Sets Us Apart


We understand that each non-resident’s situation is unique. Our services are customized to your specific circumstances, ensuring you receive the right guidance and support.

In-Depth Expertise

With 20+ years of experience in non-resident tax matters, we’re well-versed in Canadian tax regulations and how they apply to different scenarios.

Minimizing Tax Liability

Our focus is on helping you reduce your tax burden through legitimate strategies and deductions while ensuring compliance.

Timely and Accurate Filings

We prioritize accuracy and timeliness, ensuring your tax filings are submitted correctly and on time to avoid penalties.

Clear Communication

We prioritize transparent communication, ensuring you fully understand the options available to you. Your questions will be answered promptly and comprehensively.

What is Part XIII Taxes

Part XIII taxes are a type of withholding tax in Canada that is deducted from certain types of income paid to non-residents of Canada. These taxes are withheld at the source by the Canadian payer of the income and are submitted to the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) on behalf of the non-resident recipient. Part XIII taxes are designed to ensure that non-residents fulfill their tax obligations in Canada on income earned from Canadian sources.

Part XIII taxes apply to various types of income, including:

  1. Dividends: When a Canadian corporation pays dividends to non-resident shareholders, a withholding tax is applied. The rate of withholding tax may be reduced under tax treaties between Canada and other countries.

  2. Rental and Royalty Payments: Payments made to non-residents for the use of property in Canada, such as real estate or intellectual property, are subject to Part XIII tax.

  3. Pension Payments: If a non-resident receives a pension from Canada, such as Canada Pension Plan (CPP) or Old Age Security (OAS), Part XIII tax may be withheld.

  4. Retiring Allowances: Lump-sum payments made to non-resident individuals upon retirement or termination of employment in Canada are subject to withholding tax.

  5. Interest Payments: While interest payments are generally exempt from Canadian withholding tax for arm’s length non-residents, there are exceptions.

  6. Registered Retirement Savings Plan (RRSP) Payments: Withdrawals from an RRSP made to non-residents may be subject to withholding tax.

  7. Registered Retirement Income Fund (RRIF) Payments: Similar to RRSPs, payments from a RRIF to non-residents may be subject to withholding tax.

  8. Annuity Payments: Payments from annuities received by non-residents may also be subject to withholding tax.

Part XIII tax rates can vary depending on the type of income and the tax treaty between Canada and the non-resident’s home country. In some cases, the tax rate may be reduced or eliminated under a tax treaty to avoid double taxation.

It’s important to note that while Part XIII taxes are withheld at the source, they represent a non-resident’s final tax obligation to Canada on that particular income. Non-residents do not typically need to file a Canadian tax return solely to report income subject to Part XIII tax, unless they have specific types of Canadian income, such as rental income from real properties or certain Canadian pension income, for which they may choose to file a return.

Our Tax Services

At CNC, our expertise blends with our in-depth understanding of the local landscape, allowing us to provide an extensive array of services tailored to our clients’ needs. We possess a dedicated team of professionals who possess the necessary skills and knowledge to empower organizations in navigating the dynamic contemporary business landscape successfully.

Streamline your personal tax obligations with our comprehensive tax services.


With careful planning and the guidance of a knowledgeable advisor, your estate can be handled according to your desires while minimizing tax implications.


Navigating the complex non-resident tax payers landscape can be overwhelming. Our skilled consultants excel at guiding clients from various industries through these daunting challenges.


Gain peace of mind and save valuable time by entrusting your US taxes will be prepared by our professional CPAs. By entrusting them with your tax preparation, they will utilize foreign tax credits and tax legislation to prevent double taxation. Ultimately, this will result in more money remaining in your pocket.



Underused Housing Tax Canada non resident

Underused Housing Tax in Canada (New Tax)

he Government of Canada has declared its plan to enforce a nationwide annual tax of one percent on the value of residential real estate possessed by non-Canadian, non-resident individuals or Canadian Control Private Corporations…[Continue Reading]

non resident canadian tax return

Non-Resident Canadian Tax Return: A Comprehensive Guide

Welcome to our comprehensive guide on filing a non-resident Canadian tax return. If you’re a non-resident who has earned income or conducted business activities in Canada, understanding and fulfilling your tax obligations is crucial. This…[Continue Reading]

Rental Income Tax Return

Rental Income Tax Return

Report rental income on tax return if, during the year, you received rental income from a real property. For personal tax return, rental income and expenses must be reported on the CRA T776 rental income form. In this article, …[Continue Reading]